Authentic Portugese Cuisine @ Solmar Restaurant, Macau

Topics: Macau Eats

I’m back!! Macau was indeed fun! The weather was nice and cold, except for that spat of rain on the day we went sight seeing (hence the mad rush to a nearby store to get umbrellas). We walked and walked and walked and walked!! I swear I would never walk so much in the sweltering Penang heat.

We arrived in Macau, expectations abound at around 1pm. Our hotel – Metropole Hotel, although old, was located in a very prime location. As right opposite the hotel was one of the oldest restaurants in Macau! Since our rooms would only be ready after 2pm, we did the next best thing – EAT! And no better place to go than right opposite to Solmar Restaurant.

solmar

I was estatic to be dining at Macau’s finest. Upon entering, we were eagerly shown to our seats. Leather wooden chairs and white tiled walls greeted us.

solmar3

Upon being seated, we were promptly served fluffy buns.

solmar2

We browsed through the rather extensive menu and decided to kick start the meal with a Green Kale soup (Caldo Verde) (MOP32) as it came recommended.

solmar4

It was an interesting tasting soup – the green kale was shredded into ribbon like strips with a surprising crisp to taste. Inside the soup were chopped up pieces of chorizo sausages which rendered the soup a nice salty punch!

Having done some very brief research before the trip, I found out that African Chicken was a must try. Meanwhile, Kit’s friend had highly recommended the Portugese Style Baked Chicken. And that was how we ended up ordering both chicken dishes!

solmar5

The African Chicken (MOP115 for half a chicken) was midly spicy – marinated with lots of herbs and spices. The chicken meat was tender and flavorful. It reminded me of our local nyonya Curry Kapitan! 🙂

Welcome back from your holidays and thanks for sharing the interesting Sawdust Pudding.

2. You’re back! And what a start to your eating adventures in Macau! I imagine I’ll be booking my tix when you’re done with us! 😀

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..The Soup of Champions, Farlim, Air Itam

3. teddybear says:

I always wondering about what the sawdust is n now you told me , thanks

4. Selba says:

How nice to have trip in Macau 🙂 A lot of yummy food!

Selba´s last blog post..Tukang Ngamen (Singing Beggar Man)

I heard of the African chicken. It sure looks like nyonya ponteh to me!

6. mimid3vils says:

Interesting dessert of sawdust!!

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

7. Macanese Sawdust Pudding look interesting……. should mark down this. So when I go Macau should TRY!!!! ^o^

FoOd PaRaDise´s last blog post..Restoran Sin Hwa Lam Seafood Restaurant @ Batu Maung, Penang

wow macau’s finest!! really looked appetizing!

9. Welcome back!!! Good to see some posts from your holiday. 🙂

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..BigBoysOven Cake Deco Class

Lingzie, welcome back~ The dessert looks so tempting ! I’m drooling now..

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Smocky Jack (Re-visited)

11. Nate says:

I’ve never heard of sawdust pudding before but it certainly looks and sounds delectable.

The food in Macau that I’m interested in seeing is the egg tarts. Did you run into any?

Nate´s last blog post..Pavlova Recipe

12. EL says:

I wldnt Recommend to dine at Solmar Rest. The waiter/waitress are not frendly at all and aft our 1st dish, we waited almost 30mins just for another dish.They gv us an impression like you cant afford to eat.Dont waste your time looking for this Rest.I was there recently June 2011, what a bad experince.Other than that all other Restaurant are good and friendly.

1. Macau Street Foods | Lingzie's Tummy Treats