Rolling Rolling Rouleau

Topics: Baking Classes, Cakes

After months of wanting to go for their baking class, I finally found some time and headed down to KL. And I had no regrets! Not a single bit! Because I had so much fun at Big Boys Oven’s baking class on Sunday, despite it being my first time attending their class. The other ladies attending the class were also really friendly!

“Si fu” Sunny showed us how to make rouleaus.

Egg whites

Every amateur baker’s fear is… overbeating the egg whites! They should be just nice and smooth with some ‘structure’.

Spreading mixture

Sunny showing us how to spread the green tea cake mixture in the pan…

Rouleau base

The vanilla cake base is done!

Then…came our coffee break!I didn’t know that Sunny would prepare other desserts for us to try. Needless to say, I was so delighted when presented with this….

Caramel custard

So cantik right? I took one mouthful and thought I’d died and gone to dessert heaven! Very lovely caramel custard pudding. A lil’ on the sweet side, but that’s how I like ’em!

But that’s not all… we still had this…

Cream puffs

and this….

Biscotti

Ok…back to work… Sunny showing us the most crucial part… how to roll the rouleau!

Rolling Rouleau

I tried rolling the rouleau too… and it was harder than rolling sushi! Because the cake base is much softer and more delicate. I was afraid I’d break the cake while rolling… so had to do it very gently!

Vanilla rouleau

Finally! Our ‘masterpieces’. 🙂

Ok lah… we cheated a lot… cos Sunny had to come to our rescue many times! 🙂 🙂

Green tea rouleau

My favourite green tea rouleau…because it tastes lovely and is so visually stimulating…

For more photos, hop on over to Big Boys Oven’s. 🙂

Thanks Sunny and Sid for a wonderful class!

1. It was a great baking class! and more classes to come!

2. Kenny Mah says:

Looks like you guys had fun and lotsa good makan too! 😀

3. little inbox says:

What a wonderful baking session.

4. breadpitt says:

looks like alots of joy !!! glad to c another food blogger who have interest for pastry .

5. pikey says:

wow!! very nice pastry!! nice!!

6. adrian says:

Those caramel custard pudding look mouth watering. 😛

7. Erina Law says:

When u want to make and belanja me???? 🙂

8. wow…wonderful,….but KL is so far away…i would like to join Sunny’s baking class.. can Sunny come to Penang…please…?

9. Jennifer says:

Nice to meet someone from Pg (just like me!).. hope to keep in touch with you and see you in more of Sunny’s class..

BBO – yes yes more to come! looking forward to it!

kenny – oh yeah, it was good makan indeed! haha!

litteinbox – thank you! and welcome!

breadpitt – hi! welcome! that’s a real catchy nick!

pikey – thank you. wait til i try to make it on my own..hopefully it will turn out just as nice!

adrian – oh yeah the caramel custard… superb la! drools… heehee

erina – belanja you? can! no problem! 🙂

sweet jasmine – hie! i’m trying to get Sunny to come to penang for a class. would love it if you could join! do check back here for further details!

jennifer – hi my fellow baker classmate! 🙂 it was great meeting you!

11. My only request is, I dont want to take any pictures, and do not expect to be into anybody’s blog too… just wanna lie low. With that, I would much happy to join the class.

12. sue says:

hiya ..lingzie..lovely blog and very interesting to read . Come to read yr blog after getting to know u in the baking class. Great to know a Penang gurl..been ages i have not visited Penang..lol
    take care
    rgds

nkotb – we will definitely respect your wishes. 🙂 will update you on the class.

sue – hie! nice to meet you too. hope we can meet again in sunny’s future classes. 🙂

14. molly says:

Hi Linzie, was in Jasmine’s blog and thought tour abit and found you. Where is the Big Boy Oven’s located? Must go and join you!

15. Ah Shui says:

Hi Ling Zie, I love to read ur blog. Especially when u share something about baking…I have bookmark ur blog d, hehe…

1. Rolling Rolling Rouleau at TravelHappily.com/TravellerNews