OXO Cafelab @ Queensbay, Penang

Topics: Cafe, Snacks, Western Food

OXO Cafelab Restaurant is one of the latest additions to the eating scene in Bayan Lepas area. I found out about it when a friend had sent me their Opening Promotion Brochure. RM9.90 for set lunch! RM13.90 for set dinner! the brochure had said. I liked the Red, Black and White color scheme. I liked their quirky cute logo. And the brochure certainly looked interesting! So kudos to their advertising agency!

oxo

Incidentally, as I planned to visit the place for dinner, I had read Cariso’s review of it. I was impressed that they offered a Healthy Steam Cusinese Set complete with herbal soup! So off we went!

oxo3

I had high hopes for the place as we entered the venue. It was very well decorated. Very chic! And complete with pool table too!

oxo4

Glancing through the menu, OXO Cafelab serves a variety of cuisines – Asian, Western, Local. And they serve breakfast too from 8am-11am.

oxo6For their opening promotion, OXO Cafelab is offering 15% discount for their set meals. A set meal comes with a drink (cordial), soup OR salad, main dish and dessert. No discount for ala carte orders. I opted for the set meal and chose the Soup. Soup of the day was Mushroom Soup. I didn’t really care for the soup as I found it too starchy and bland.

oxo7We had another set meal and opted for the salad, which thankfully fared better than the dismal soup.

oxo8My main meal choice was the Juicy Chicken Piccata with Boxthorne Fruit and Plum Sauce. (This set is normally RM18.70, after discount – RM15.90) The chicken piccata here was basically chicken chop coated with egg and then pan fried. I found the boxthorne fruit and plum sauce interesting as it gave the dish an Asian twist to it. Overall, a very normal dish save for the interesting sauce.

1. Corsaro says:

looks nice …but apasal (why) Chicken Piccata got lotus root one ah ?

2. This is one of the place I would like to visit. lol And seems like the food is quite nice. lol

FoOd PaRaDise´s last blog post..Chee Wah Curry Fish Head @ Lebuh Melayu

3. gill gill says:

we visited OXO a week ago, since they were newly opened, a room of improvement is needed as lingzie mentioned. Taste of the food is just normal for me.

gill gill´s last blog post..Blue Reef’s Beer Batter Fish n’ Chips

4. Little Inbox says:

I saw their advertisement a week ago, and just hopped from Cariso’s posting.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Spiral Pasta In Carbonara White Sauce

I tried their breakfast set. Total disappointment and we waited for > 45 minutes to get all meals served when there’s only one table of us. And the breakfast set is very so so. A big room of improvement indeed.

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Pulau Tikus Curry Mee

6. hhmmm…definitely nd improvement on their food..n presentation..but i guess for the value-wise its ok.. (or mayb not..seeing that its Pg aft all..)

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Milk for Nourishment…

Definitely will be visiting this place but at a much later time. Hope things would improve by then.

ck lam´s last blog post..Penang Food – Seafood Beehoon and Pork Porridge @Lam Kei

this still a NO NO place for me after the first visit… much more improvement needed.

environment wise, it is good, but for food… i am sorry, much more improvement required. Serving sequence also out. And need more time to see if there is imprvement.

The boss/chef is the one at Macedonie QBM

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food | Greenlane Market Apong

I agree with all. Need improvement. Now is sin jiam ban, hoe pang sai. 🙂

cariso´s last blog post..OXO Cafelab FULL menu

10. I notice the food is not cheap either before discount! I think the fusion food served here does not look 100% fusion at all rather more then 80% chinese. hahah I also spotted the lotus root, lol! I am not sure if I am right or not, by seeing the menu, they got a lot of dishes to offer, I hope they serve 100% fresh food.

Ssd to see beautiful restaurant and heavily invested but food no good.

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

yep! i think overall most would agree that this place needs a lot of improvement on the food side. hopefully it improves since they’ve already invested so much on the decor etc…

lingzie´s last blog post..OXO Cafelab @ Queensbay, Penang

12. wendy says:

Set this in my food list in my next return to Penang :-p

wendy´s last blog post..Raspberry Cheese Cake

aiks..looking at all the comments, I’m wondering if I should agree with my friends to go for dinner there soon!

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Dim Sum High-Tea

14. meiyi says:

oh.. so the michael lau (from the namecard) is the macedoine owner??
    wow…. tat’s a bit over ambitious to operate two restaurants!

meiyi´s last blog post..Relay 4 Life – Penang

15. Is it just me or is Penang getting all the happening spots?? 🙂

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Sabah II

16. lk says:

What a nicely decorated restaurant! But it is a waste to hear all the -ve reviews on food served.

lk´s last blog post..Masala chai (Indian tea)

17. Christy says:

Seems like a very very interesting place ya…with lots of choices!
    Added to my list of to-try places…yeay, thanks Lingzie!:)

Christy´s last blog post..Fuzing Fusion Food @ Louis Cafe

18. I’m not sure about the over-fused menu… I think these new-fangled outlets are trying to cover too much ground conceptually, when they really can do so much better with a narrower focus. Still, the decor’s interesting so and discount period’s always great to iron out all its kinks!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Out of the wilderness, into the woods!

19. Chin says:

Looks like a hip and dynamic place. Tight, compressed and colourful food.

Chin´s last blog post..Anugraha – Pulai Springs Resort, Skudai, Johore

20. steven says:

Last Friday I went to there also, the food is just normal to me…not so delicious. But I had spent a wonderful time at there because of a waiter, a cutely Chinese girl. I had waited 40m for my food, when the same girl was served my food, she had apologize to me for waiting…good attitude

21. MT says:

Went there earlier on for dinner….sucked totally….

22. shesshh says:

Ewww, i just came back from there. It would be good to save your petrol and parking and try some place else. :O

shesshh´s last blog post..Food Review : OXO Queensbay

23. Cheah says:

hi,i been there few time,i been thru lunch and dinner,well in lunch i been attend by waitress and waiter,but when i come for dinner there is nobody attend me.its seen there is not enough staff or what!!i so hungry at that time,but nobody seem to care.

24. othxx3 says:

hi, i just came back from there for lunch… overall disappointed… exspecially the soup of the day (waitress said is tomota soup), but i cannot taste any, becoz it was very very very salty…. no second time for me.

25. Angie says:

yaiks, i planned to go there tonight for dinner but it seems that i need to change to other location.

Angie´s last blog post..FINAL DESTINATION ?

26. Ming says:

I had a very bad experience here.
    We had to wait for about an hour for our food.
    Plus, food was not even nice.

Definitely not worth the price.
    Grab a burger from Maccers… it will satisfy you more.

27. kc says:

i plan to have a christmas party for 60 pax this year at this restaurant reason they have beautiful night ambience and space. Unfortunately, my friends doesn’t agree due to bad service and food are so so but costly even discounted. Waited for the food for 40 mins. Can you imagine that?

28. Doraemon says:

The services there is very very poor for me… …wait for almost an hour for the food during dinner time… …really poor…

29. debtdash says:

The chicken (piccatta?) was not nicely cooked & not fresh at all kinda frozen food without properly cooked and the bread served was overcooked with much black charcoal and the waiter said “it’s sasame” “you eat & see”
    All in all, the food taste so bad that I don’t appreciate the supposed nice decorated place.

1. » Penang Western Food List Penang Deli