Woodlands Vegetarian Restaurant @ Penang Street

Topics: Indian Food, Vegetarian

I had read about Woodlands Vegetarian Restaurant from Malaysia Best a long long time ago. But since both my dad and grandfather are ferocius meat eaters and balk at the mere mention of ‘vegetarian food’,  my chances of eating here are greatly diminished.

woodlands

However, my love for Indian food (vegetarian or otherwise) has kept this place in the back of my head. So when M came to visit, I promptly dragged him here! 🙂

The place is quite dim but we welcomed the cool blast of air cond, refuge from the hot hot weather. The menu itself is rather extensive as they serve breakfast from 8.30pm onwards. And they remain open until 10pm! We did find the menu rather confusing though, as certain items were only available for breakfast or lunch, while certain items were available for tea etc…

woodlands4

We both decided on the Mini Meal which was a special set meal available for lunch. It consisted of a fluffy piece of warm chapati, a cup of curd rice, dhall, potato masala, raita and a sweet.

woodlands5It was my first time trying the curd rice, and I was pleasantly surprised! It was a cold dish, sour with a slight sweetness. And I loved the fact that it had cashew nuts in it!

woodlands6

Special Set Lunch Menu

woodlands3

M has a soft spot for samosas so we ordered some. It was filled with lots of potatoes and fragrant spices. A great snack indeed!

woodlands7We also tried the Mushroom Fry since I love my mushrooms. Again I was pleasantly surprised by this dish! The mushrooms were infused with lots of spices and herbs resulting in a fragrant and delicious dish! A bit oily but fantastic nonetheless!

Now if they could re-vamp their menu to be a lil less confusing, Woodlands Vegetarian Restaurant would be just perfect! Prices are very reasonable as well, the mini  meal we had was around RM4, same for the mushroom fry.

Also, do check out their array of delectable looking Indian sweets!

woodlands2

1. Cheap as chips!! I went to that Ananda outlet nearby recently and nearly died at the prices! And one can never go wrong with some samosas… MMMMMMMMM

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Fishy times, Hokano at Damansara Uptown

haha, you have a Woodlands, so far up north from the Singapore one ….

serving Indian vege meal ..the only vege meal i’ve had in Pg was at Annalakshmi, the one near Penang GH.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Day 4 (Back to Hanoi) – Triple Breakfast for the Hungry Souls?

I have never tasted the cold dish of curd rice. Must go there soon to eat liao.

ck lam´s last blog post..Afternoon Tea @Rasa Wing Lounge in Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa

Seems that you like Indian food a lot! Next trip during baking class sessions, we go for OLD SCHOOL TOSAI!

email2me´s last blog post..Leong Chee Kee Coconut Tart, Pepper Biscuit and Buttercake at People’s Court Campbell Street, Penang

5. Eivok says:

Woodland’s quality has dropped tremendously and the kitchen/toilet are so disgustingly dirty; not to mention their outrages price charging.

You should check out Sri Ananda Bagwan – Vegan (just directly opposite Woodland’s) where you get better meal and much cleaner. I like SAB’s North Indian Thali or just plain Masala Dosai that goes well with fresh hot cow milk.

Oh.. btw, Woodland is internationally chained restaurants… thus you can find their setups in Signapore, Australia to name a few.

6. something new to me… curd rice??!!

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Mr. Pot Coffee & Toast

7. Andrea says:

I find that the best meals are made at home. I found some great food ideas at RawPeople that allows me to feel healthier options, without having to hunt for a vegetarian meal.

I like vegetarian food too but too bad my bf is so carnivorous. Not even able to drag him to eat vegetarian food with me… 🙁
    Next time I drag you go eat vegetarian food with me can ar? hehe

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Bravo Italiana Part II (Heavenly Desserts)

9. me luvv vege too! Didnt know abt this plc tho..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Milk for Nourishment…

10. wah . . . .. looks so nice but I think you look better in sari! cool n chic!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

11. eTravelAsia says:

Thanks for the post. It

12. Elsie says:

A slight error…said the place opens at 8pm. I think you meant 8am.

13. vkeong says:

Penang Street = Penang Road? Same ar? RM4 is quite ok loh, but I am more of a meat fan hehe

vkeong´s last blog post..Kin Kin Chili Pan Mee – worst attitude ever

14. smitha says:

i luv this place…
    It’s been renevated recently and looks great…

15. Brady Bryant says:

I am also a vegetarian and my body has never been in a very good shape. Being a vegan can really make you much heathier.`’*

1. Woodlands « a herbivore in penang