Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant & Bar @ Tanjung Bungah (Hillside) Penang

Topics: Bulgarian Food

When driving pass Hillside Tanjung Bungah a few weeks ago, I spotted a new restaurant being renovated next to the Ingolf German Restaurant. I was immediately taken by its beautiful brick wall exterior and wooden floorings. And made a mental note to come check this place out. Besides I was really excited! Bulgarian food in Penang! Definitely a first! In fact, I think even Kuala Lumpur does not boast a Bulgarian restaurant just yet!

Vintage Bulgaria Front

Vintage Bulgaria Front

Vintage Bulgaria entrance

Vintage Bulgaria entrance

Despite being only the second day of operations, the place was already brimming with customers. We hadn’t made any reservations and were lucky enough to score the last available table in the house!

From where we were seated, we had a good view of the bar. The interior is really cosy with warm lighting. And I loved the wooden finishing which gives it a rustic feel. Best thing is the basement area (which unfortunately was already full) reminiscent of a Bulgarian cottage.

Vintage Bulgaria - bar

Vintage Bulgaria - bar

Vintage Bulgaria - Bulgarian cottages

Vintage Bulgaria - Bulgarian cottages

I was really new to Bulgarian food, not knowing what to expect. Upon browsing the menu, we found that it was laden with meat and tripe! I for one hardly take tripe or pig instestines so I was a lil’ wary. But grandpa was game for their famous beef tripe soup, Shkembe Chorba.

Vintage Bulgaria - Tripe soup

Vintage Bulgaria - Tripe soup

I liked the presentation of the soup using a large tea cup! And this milky soup was surprisingly easy on the palate. When you don’t think of it as the lining of the stomach of cows, it really doesn’t taste so bad! lol. It reminds me of the taste of our local ‘Too Thor Th’ng’ (pig intestine’s soup) but with milk.

We ordered appetizer as well – bacon wrapped with cheese. It was delicious! Thick tender morsels of bacon delicately wrapped round a generous chunk of cheese!

Vintage Bulgaria - Bacon wrapped cheese

Vintage Bulgaria - Bacon wrapped cheese

Our mains came next. We had the Chicken Schnitzel – chicken breast wrapped with cheese and vegetables. Similar to the chicken cordon bleu, I was quite surprised to see this on the menu as I thought it was more Austrian than Bulgarian. Nevertheless, it made for a rather good meal. Though perhaps on the next visit I would opt to try something more unique. πŸ™‚

Vintage Bulgaria - Chicken Schnitzel

Vintage Bulgaria - Chicken Schnitzel

Then came our Platter Bulgaria – a hearty meaty platter of sausages, meat patties and pork fillet. The sausages and meat patties were made up of a mixture of beef and pork. The sausages were really good infused with herbs and spices. Though I found it a tad too salty for my taste, this platter was still a winner. Served with a generous portion of steamed vegetables and potatoes. The potatoes were just perfect! Piping hot and soft with just the right amount of salt seasoning.

Vintage Bulgaria - Platter Bulgaria

Vintage Bulgaria - Platter Bulgaria

Perhaps the only thing that I recognized from the menu was the sweet Bulgarian dessert pastry – baklava. I have heard of it but never got the chance to try it. So it was a must order for me! It was very sweet indeed as the pastry was drenched in syrup. I found the pastry to be a bit hard. Not too sure if it’s because it got cold by the time I had finished chit chatting with CK Lam and the Bulgarian lady owner!

Vintage Bulgaria - baklava

Vintage Bulgaria - baklava

Apologies for the lacklustre photos. I decided to dig out a different camera to use that night and disastrously had to get used to it all over again. πŸ™

What’s the ‘damage’ for this meal? A reasonable RM110 for the 3 of us, considering the environment and the unique cuisine. I’m really happy to see that the Penang food scene is flourishing with more and more different types of cuisine giving Penangites a chance to taste something unique that tickles our tastebuds!

Vintage Bulgaria is located at 1E Jalan Sungai Kelian, 11200 Tanjung Bungah Penang. For reservations call 04-8981890.

Also, hop on over to read CK Lam’s review. Such a coincidence that we bumped into each other that night! It was a pleasure to finally meet CK’s hubby and son. πŸ™‚

Wah wasted …. when doing food review, always bring a camera which you know how to fully manipulate. If not will waste the chance ….. I always bring 2 cameras out. You won’t know when you need it.

Nice review…I did not try the Baklava as I have eaten it in Melbourne but those were not drench in so much syrup.

I will definitely go back and try the other food.

3. muny says:

LZ: was told the service left little to be desired from me sis…. how was the service btw?

email2me – wah bring 2 cameras? you really pro! lol

CK – yeah i’m looking forward to trying other things on the menu as well. πŸ™‚

muny – yes service was slow that nite but it’s still new (2night of operations) so should be some teething problems kua. spoke to the lady boss and she’s noted it. said she’ll work on it. hopefully service would have improved when i go for a second visit!

oh muny, by service i meant the food serving time. food was slow coming out. but the wait staff were pleasant and attentive.

Btw…my hubby and son was glad to have met you as they only get to see you in the virtual world…haha. Good to see all the teething problems of your blog solved πŸ™‚

7. Bulgarian indeed! Whatever next?! Penang’s fast becoming a real treasure trove for exotic flavours. This should be the first of its kind in M’sia!

8. allenooi says:

saw it from ck’s post and now is from u. next time really need to bring good camera out. like what ken said, bring 2! hahaha.

9. i wonder will i be able to bump into you guys once of these days or not? πŸ˜€

thanks for sharing, … as i’ve not been eating out lately.

ck lam – thank you! now waiting for your turn! πŸ™‚

550ml jar of faith – yeah i’m excited to see what comes next for penangites!

allenooi – actually its a good camera just that i havent used it in a long time. so needed to get used to it again. πŸ™‚

new kid on the blog – oh it would be great if i could bump into you! you must come over to say hi ok? πŸ™‚

hmm… nice review… seems like another one that we shud make a try there.. hee hee..

wallet tak tahan liao… hee hee

12. looks so awesome delicious!

13. meimeizoe says:

lingzie, u r just so fast!!

14. Winnie Lim says:

I tried Turkish Baklava at chapel street Melbourne @ Turkish restorant right opposite KFC.

What to say more? it is very delicious!

On top of that , The italian restorant at @ lygon street melbourne serve the best handmade Pasta and my favourite Panna Cotta!!

15. fred says:

am going there with friends. drop in to see if there’s anything special in this restaurant. it did help with your introduction. thanks!

16. Jess says:

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lingzie! πŸ™‚
    i had fun on that evening.. lemme share with u my post on this event! just updated last nite only.
    .-= JessΒ΄s last blog ..Penang Floggers Gathering | Vintage Bulgaria =-.

17. bob says:

This is a must try for everyone……The food is the best ive had in Penang……The service and staff also the best in Penang…. Just go and try you will agree. Cheers and thanks.

18. Sharyon Australia says:

The atomsphere, the hospitality of establishment and the meals where excellent! We had Pork ribs and lamb cutlets. This is to die for.. the desserts were also very delicious. The price was very reasonable for what we had.

19. JO STOREY says:

We’d a good evening dinner in Bulgarian Restaurant, nice environment, I love the design the lighting, super! the service of the waiters were so warm but I notice the mix grill meat abit burn and hard to chew…I don’t really fancy the Bulgarian dessert(triangle shape), it’s a complementary. We will go back again to try others in the Menu with my UK friends.

20. mandie says:

the RM 110 included the above food and tax?

1.   Divine Bulgarian Food in Penang @ Vintage Bulgaria, Tanjung Bungah — Steven Goh’s Penang Food, Budget Travel and Unique Lifestyle
  2. Penang 4th Flogger Gathering @ Vintage Bulgaria, Tanjung Bungah Penang | Lingzie's Tummy Treats
  3. Penang Holiday – 2009 | My Two Girls - All About Zara and Zaria