Daorae Korean BBQ Restaurant @ Bayan Point, Bayan Lepas

Topics: Bayan Lepas/Sg Ara, Korean Food

No, I haven’t disappeared from the face of the earth my dear readers. Have just been travelling a lot. I know I’m guilty of leaving this space untouched for the past 2 weeks (luckily no cobwebs growing yet!)…but I’m back! :)

Daorae Korean BBQ is one of the latest Korean restaurants to arrive at our shores and needs no further introduction as the place has been packed with curious food lovers.

daorae

Being a fan of Korean food, I couldn’t resist flocking to the spanking new restaurant despite the crowd. Important tip: make a table reservation before hand! So far, we’ve visited Daorae twice and have been suitably pleased.

daorae3

A variety of banchan is served (about 8 different banchan’s each time) so much so that you’ll run out of table space! My favourite banchan would be the huge bean sprouts, mushrooms, omelet and fried anchovies.

daorae8

Daorae serves a impressive list of BBQ meats for you to choose from, though beef makes up a large portion of them. But fret not non beef eaters, for the chicken BBQ (Yang-nyum Dak-gal-bi) is very good! The skinless chicken fillets are marinated with their own special soy sauce which lends a sweet flavor to the chicken. RM27 per portion.

daorae4

On our first visit, we tried the Special Saeng-deung-shim, RM72 (top left picture above) which is their special unmarinated prime beef meant to be eaten with their sesame oil dip (which I absolutely adore!!). The beef was indeed very fresh, but we found it to be a lil tough since the cut was a thicker one. We made it a point to try the marinated beef the next time.

We also chose Hanbang Dweji Wang Galbi (RM35) which is pork ribs marinated in Korean ginseng and sweet soy sauce (top right picture above).

On the second visit, we opted for a fattier cut of pork meat – belly pork also marinated in Korean ginseng (Hanbang Samkyup Sal – RM30). Both pork choices were tasty, but my preference would be towards a leaner cut hence the Hanbang Dweji Wang Galbi wins here. :)

daorae9

Daorae also serves seafood items for BBQ, and we picked the squids marinated in hot chilli sauce – Yang-nyum-O-jing-er Goo-e (RM27).

daorae10

The squids were a hit! They were cooked with just the right amount of doneness and hence was still soft with a nice bite to it. And they weren’t really very spicy despite the name.

daorae7

The right way to eat Korean BBQ – meat dipped in special bean sauce, topped with garlic and wrapped with lettuce leaves.

1. A nice Korean restaurant :) Nice photo shooting too

WikiStreetFood´s last blog post..Daves Deli

I like their BBQ food too. Planning to go back for their kimchi steamboat :P

allie´s last blog post..Ryoma Japanese Restaurant | Penang Restaurant

It needs many return visits to try out all the food item in its menu.

4. waited so long to read this awesome post! so syiok, next round we head there again yah! :)

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..A Close Encounter With Chef Zoran Djumic of Dubrovnik Restaurant – Solaris Mont Kiara

5. taufulou says:

Seems like alot pg ppl flocking to this restaurant har…but what i heard from my friends that the taste in pg branch is not as nice compare to the 1 in Sri Hartamas,KL which the taste of marinated meat is lacking!

6. Wow! The squids looks tempting!

7. wow…. I still have not visited them yet. Wah… I want to try the squids. ^-^

8. sigh… unfortunately my other half dont fancy korean food…

The cucumber soju looks cooling.

oh, tot so you were on holidays! hahahaha
    i like Korean food, rmbr I asked you guys’ opinions on Daorae the other night? heheheh ….

11. Matt R says:

Wow, what an amazing post. I used to live in Koreatown here in LA, and growing up in Hawaii, korean bbq has always been a must have in my culinary adventures.

I love basically any kind of bbq. I also love tailgating and grilling. I actually work with Johnsonville sausages, and we have a contest called Create Your Own Ville, has anyone heard of it?

Well it’s ending next week friday so everyone needs to register and submit an entry! Go on to http:///www.createyourownville.com to find out how you can win $23,000 in cash and grilling prizes!

Does anyone plan on entering?

12. mimid3vils says:

cucumber + soju? wow that’s new to me & I never try soju b4 too o.O”

I had the best dining experience at Daorae, will share with u later on my blog ;)

13. Dan Rose says:

That looks great Lingzie! I”ll have to try it next time I’m in town!!!

14. I also want to go, please please next round we go for Korean food! lol!

15. Christine says:

welcome back gal! I tried Daorae in Puchong. they were good. Will definitely return for more of their barbecued meat and the many selections of their banchan :)looks like the one in Penang was memorable as well.

16. Colourainbow says:

For Daorae BBQ restaurant at Bayan point, do we need to make any reservation before we want to go ?

17. leoz says:

why other branches in KL n tanjong tokong serve spring onion upon request. But at here the branch manager told me only serve for non marinated bbq. I will never visit this branch again.

1. » Penang Korean Restaurant List Penang Deli