Hard Rock Hotel Penang’s Starz Diner Seafood Buffet

Topics: Batu Ferringhi, Buffet

It’s been about a month since Hard Rock Hotel graced our sunny shores. And so we thought it appropriate to pay a virgin visit to the hotel, starting with the Seafood buffet at Starz Diner.

hrh18

Incidentally, the night we were there for the buffet was also the official opening night of Hard Rock Cafe. So there were lots of people, media and curious onlookers, lots of super bikes on display and literally no place to park. However, the security guards were nice enough to tell us that we could park across the street.

hrh11

We arrived to a rather empty Starz Diner, probably because everyone else was hanging aroud in the lobby having some snacks and appetizers before the official do at Hard Rock Cafe. The chefs on duty at Starz Diner were also busy churning out tempura prawns and other goodies. But I didn’t complain about the lack of crowd for it allowed me to happily go about snapping photos!

The diner is done up in purple and white. And while I love the color scheme (purple’s my new pink!) and the waitresses cute diner style purple uniform, the place did look rather bare. Perhaps they were going for a fuss free mood?

hrh

Bread station with nice fluffy buns…no complaints there! 🙂

hrh5

Appetizers, salads and starters table

hrh6

Sashimi and oysters (which I skipped cos I’m not an oyster person)

hrh7

Slipper lobsters on ice

hrh8

Mains… and friendly chefs who wanted to stop and pose for my camera. 🙂 The mains consisted of a few seafood dishes, lamb, stir fried broccoli and some carbs – pineapple rice and noodles.

hrh10

Chilli crabs

1. its all about paying for the brand?..slipper lobsters free flow? and u missed out on oysters? what a pity
    .-= lotsofcravings´s last blog ..Dave’s Deli @ Subang Parade =-.

2. Duckie says:

oh dear, quite pricey but not to your expectation is quite disappointing. perhaps i’ll wait a little more first before going.
    .-= Duckie´s last blog ..Seng Heang Bak Kut Teh =-.

huh? RM 108++? I’d better choose to go to Rasa Sayang then 😛
    Anyway, nice meeting you on that day!
    .-= allie´s last blog ..Ah Weng Koh Famous Hainan Coffee and Roti Kahwin @ Imbi Market =-.

I have not visited this place yet but nice to see the place through your blog 🙂

5. Samantha says:

wow… expensive… can I just go in to see? Next time bring me there… heard that the deco is super nice…
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Europe Trip – Amsterdam Day 1 =-.

6. NKOTB says:

Hmmm, I have not visited this place…. It looks so good, but I heard some comments from friends that the food are just so so.
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..Foh San Restaurant ???? =-.

7. taufulou says:

looks like not much choice ha~
    hrmm, the pricing sure cost a bomb~

8. mimid3vils says:

long time didnt have buffet..:(

I shall wait until I see more good reviews on this place 🙂
    .-= cariso´s last blog ..Mr. Baoz – Will this be popular like J.Co or Big Apple? =-.

10. Hmmm.. kinda mediocre spread huh? The miso cod fish did catch my eye though! Maybe they serve it ala carte too?
    .-= 550ml jar of faith´s last blog ..The Local aka Hock Hin, SS19 =-.

11. Chin says:

Good write-up. The ambiance (do hope it has a nice lookout the sea) and I am sure there are some food I like! Will sure check out the newest addition to Penang tourist map.

• Lingzie says:

hi chin! starz diner has an outdoor area (which i didnt really check out cos it was rather warm and i was too busy taking photos! lol)
      but they’ve got a lovely swimming pool. if you want a nice lookout to the sea while you eat, i think the Pizzeria would be a better bet, in my opinion. 🙂

12. hmmmmmmmmmmm will wait! 🙂
    .-= Big Boys Oven´s last blog ..Three Tier Macaron Fondant Cake for Him =-.

13. Elsie says:

The one in Shang looks more promising.

14. myterio says:

Well, i went there (starz diner) seafood buffet.
    It was very bad for the service, food, environment ! Slipper lobster (cold) on ice were really having endless supply because it was totally not fresh. Grilled slipper lobster i only managed to get one (cut into two pieces) and they replaced ti with prawns.

The dinner outing in starz diner was really unhappy, and not satisfying. Sorry to say that but i really need to say they only selling their brand for Hard Rock Cafe not other outlets ! Really ridiculous.

15. fayefly says:

l went there last night…
    tis buffet really made me dispointed
    expensife and those seafood really not fresh all mostly frozen
    .-= fayefly´s last blog ..??????? =-.