Amelie Cafe @ Armenian Street – Charmingly Rustic

Topics: Cafe

A friend had told me about Amelie Cafe along Armenian Street located in the heart of Georgetown, Penang which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. I had no idea where Amelie Cafe was located in Armenian Street as I only knew of Edelweiss Cafe along that street. As I drove along Armenian Street, I very nearly missed the small but charming Amelie Cafe, located right next to Cheah Kongsi.

The fresh greenery right in front of Amelie Cafe immediately attracted my attention, a welcome sight from the sun, heat and concrete. Plus the cute and quirky hand painted sign added to its appeal. Somehow, I was pretty sure that Amelie Cafe would be my kind of place. ~wink~

Located right next to Cheah Kongsi Temple – Opulence and Oriental contrasting with simple and quirky

For tourists on a self guided Heritage Trail Walk through the streets of Georgetown, Amelie Cafe would be a perfect place to take a breather and relax over some drinks. For locals, it would be a cosy hideout when you just need to get away for a while to maybe read a book or drink a cup of coffee.

Stepping into Amelie Cafe, you would immediately notice that the place is small. Yet, it definitely has a certain appeal. The place is raw and rustic, with mis-matched chairs and tables, lots of tiny trinkets everywhere and art works adorning it’s walls. It all threatens to look a lil haphazard, but thankfully falls just short of that. And instead is very laid back and cosy.

I just LOVE this painting! Don’t you? Done by one of the owners of Amelie Cafe, this piece is actually for sale too.

“Menu Tree” – very very cute!

Check out their simple Hand painted menus. This place is definitely cute-ness overload. SO my kind of place!

Amelie Cafe’s concept – recycle and reuse. Almost all the furnishings in the cafe are made on their own which would explain the mis-matched look plus a charming slanted stool. And they served me in water in a clean jam jar!

1. Dan says:

Wow, what a great find! The Banana Lime looks fantastic and refreshing and the food divine!

A nice and cozy place. Hope to see more other dishes on their menu 🙂
    .-= ck lam´s last blog ..Penang Tau Sar Pneah, Ang Koo Kuih and more at Eaton! =-.

3. samlee860407 says:

banana lime juice? certainly something special.

the cafe design is really special, like those backpackers hotel , haha

maybe will go next time when i go nearby there to have my eel fishball koay teow soup, awesome stuff if you haven’t try before 😀
    .-= samlee860407´s last blog ..Sarkies Corner Wine & Dine buffet @ E&O Hotel Penang =-.

4. Duckie says:

i like the simple deco!!! and your new header/banner for your blog too
    .-= Duckie´s last blog ..Ipoh Road Yong Tau Foo =-.

This definitely have a homey feel! Hope that it won’t turn to commercialize later on. Recently I also prefer dark chocolate than milk chocolate. 😛
    .-= allie´s last blog ..Birthday Celebration @ Hard Rock Cafe =-.

6. NKOTB says:

Geee… I didn’t know about this at all… thanks for sharing.
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..Grandmama’s =-.

7. OMG! such a chramly rustic place! defitely a place to chill off, such a beauty!
    .-= Big Boys Oven´s last blog ..Sunny Yaw Wedding Cake Collection at Princely Wedding Fair 2010 =-.

8. mimid3vils says:

the chicken look so pale in colour?

NKOTB say geee…

then PTP need to say… yor….. why u din post this earlier ma 😛

nice find.
    .-= PenangTuaPui´s last blog ..Authentic Thai Food – Lang Sae Lee Thai Food at Penang Weld Quay =-.

Gonna visit soon! 🙂
    .-= cariso´s last blog ..Addicted to Inaka!? =-.

11. Leonard Kong says:

I’ve been there twice… I love that place very much… I can feel relax and enjoy the tourist walk by the Armenian Street… Especially during raining day…! ^^

12. Daphne says:

i love this place…. i am quite regular there…
    i must b there every week if not i will feel something missed….
    normally, i will ordered a piece of cake that fresh from oven everyday…. cum a cup of hazelnut latte…
    i love this place much…

yen & hong….. gambateh…

13. Jacgy says:

Food menu change to base on ingredient on that day, no upstairs, no taking photo 🙁

14. letch says:

Can I have the contact to Amelie Cafe owners? Thanks.