My Favourite Food in Macau!

Topics: Macau Eats

Finally, the last of my Macau posts… and I definitely saved the best for last. Because this post is dedicated to the food I enjoyed the most in Macau!

Anyone care to guess what it is? ๐Ÿ™‚

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have a soft spot for desserts…. and therefore it is no surprise that my favourite ‘meal’ in Macau was at this place…

mcd

The famed Leitaria I Son dessert shop well known for their silky milk puddings and other milky delights. Those with Lactose intolerance should avoid this place at all costs as they serve a huge variety of milk based desserts.

mcd6

We actually chanced upon this store while walking along the streets in central Macau (just down from Senado Square). It was 7.30pm on the first day of our trip and we walked into the small unpretentious shop only to realise that they were closing! But the ladies were accomodating and said they’d take our order.

mcd2

We wanted to try the Ginger Milk Pudding but was told that it was sold out for the day. They were closing early for the day because most of the items had run out. So the lady recommended their “Xiong Pei Tan Nai” (Double Skin Steamed Milk Pudding). As you can see from the photo above, there is a thin “skin” on top of the milk pudding. We tried the cold version of this pudding and were so surprised at the silky smooth texture! It literally melts in your mouth! I like to let a spoonful of the cold pudding sit for a while inside my mouth, savouring the cool smooth pudding and slowly let it melt! Ah….. bliss!!

mcd3

We also tried the Steamed Egg Pudding, which had a strong eggy smell to it. This was served warm and while I didn’t quite fancy it (too ‘egg-y’ for me) my friend absolutely loved it!

mcd4

Now, this next dessert is perhaps the most satisfying dessert of all time! Ice cream in Fresh Milk! Leitaria I Son serves this dessert with a choice of coconut or mango ice cream. We chose coconut. Rich creamy coconut ice cream in fresh creamy cold milk….. the memory of it is enough to make me want to book my next flight to Macau!

mcd7

I have never tasted milk so fresh. We found out that Leitaria I Son has been around for about 150 years and they have their very own cow farm which is now in Zhu Hai (Mainland China, bordering Macau). Talk about freshness! Plus, the steady stream of customers ensure that there are almost no left overs every day and all the desserts remain freshly made!

Our total bill for the 3 items came up to MOP58. We laughed at how we skimped on dinner, just to splurge on desserts! ๐Ÿ™‚

mcd5

We loved the milky desserts so much that we visited the same shop every day for the remainder of our trip! (That’s fresh cow’s milk and other milky yumminess 3 days in a row!)

mcd8

The next night, we decided to let the hot Ginger Milk Pudding tempt our taste buds. The pudding was again silky smooth with some ginger-y zing to it. I like!

We also had another Double Skin Steamed Milk Pudding but this time we tried the hot version. Having tried both, I prefer the cold version.

mcd9

Having been converted into an Ice Cream in Milk fans, we tried the Mango Ice Cream version this time. The mango ice cream made the milk concoction a lil sour. And because of this, I prefer the fresh milk with coconut ice cream.

mcd10

Leitaria I Son also serves light snacks and meals. We tried the pork chop sandwich (they ran out of the buns and asked if we were OK with them using normal white bread) This pork chop tastes different from the one we had earlier, being less peppery.

On our last day in Macau, we decided that we had to go for one last round of milky treats. We had repeats of the Double Skin Steamed Milk Pudding and Coconut Ice Cream in Milk. And also tried this ham and egg noodles…

mcd11

A very simple dish (similar to the ones we get here in Kim Gary and such) but one thing to note is the soup. I loved that they used sesame oil in the soup which lends it much flavor!

There are over 10 branches of Leitaria I Son in Macau, and one in Senado Square itself.

Now I really really miss the smooth silky steamed milk puddings…. won’t some entreprising soul bring these delicious milky treats over to Malaysia?

Interested to go to Macau for all these mouth watering delicacies? Check out Macau Hotels for recommendations on where to stay at great prices!

1. food-4tots says:

Double Skin Steamed Milk Pudding is my hubby’s favourite but he can’t find a good one in KL or Spore at the moment.

food-4tots´s last blog post..My recipe column ยซ????ยป featured in Kwong Wah Yit Poh

hey i also went twice lah! hahahah … both in macau, as the steamed milk, with or without ginger, hot or cold, was VERY VERY good.

is there anywhere in KL or Pg that serves this dessert?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Meet The Floggers : A Precious (Pea) Story

3. Little Inbox says:

I think I’ll love it too cuz I like milky stuff.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Oriental Fried Udon

4. double skin milk, i didn’t have a chance to try it when i was in HK few years back. ๐Ÿ™

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Edgecumbe Mee Goreng

5. visited the 1 in hk..and still crave for it once in awhile..cant get the same quality in KL.

lotsofcravings´s last blog post..A Slice of Heaven by Just Heavenly

6. Thats the desserts that I definitely want to try when I go Hong Kong and Macau…. heard so much about it. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDise´s last blog post..Pin Seong Seafood @ Sungai Dua, Penang

7. soo sean says:

Yeah! I am going there again this Oct.

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

8. I can now honestly say I LOVE YOU cos this is a perfect fit for me since I’m heading to Macau at the end of this month! Yay for the review! ๐Ÿ˜€

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..London

Wah…. must show Tam Ciak this as he went to the one at HK branch… he sure must miss it a lot one …
    hahhahaha

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Relaxing lunch at Federal Place

You must tell me if you find any kopitiam or stalls in Pg selling the Skin Steamed Milk Pudding & Ginger Milk Pudding as good as this one one ok?!

cariso´s last blog post..Ko-Fu-Loft (???): Invited Review (Part II)

The pudding looks so good and smooth. There are so many food outlets selling Hong Kong noodles & pastries in town but not one with this yummy pudding.

ck lam´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food – Kek Seng Ice Kacang

12. mimid3vils says:

Eat more can make our complexion smooth smooth o… ๐Ÿ˜›

mimid3vils´s last blog post..One Noodle

13. Hong CN says:

hohoho… I tried the double milk pudding in Macau. one word – BEST! silky and smoothy until melting me ๐Ÿ™‚

Hong CN´s last blog post..Penang – Chowrasta Market – Pok Chang

14. Hi. I was in Hong Kong two years ago and was having a bad cold at that time. My colleague took me to a small shop selling steamed egg puddings and I have been indebted to him since. The steaming hot pudding cleared my nose instantly and tasted great at the same time. I tried a somewhat similar steamed egg pudding at Canton-i in Penang but it’s not quite near the one I had in Hong Kong.

My Food Fetish´s last blog post..Tarbush Restaurant Penang – Arabic & Lebanese Cuisine To Satisfy All Your Senses

15. Sugar Bean says:

From the way you described it, I really feel like trying their Double Skin Steamed Milk Pudding! Sounds sooo good. I love milk puddings but haven’t really tried any good ones before in KL.

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..Sushi Zanmai (????) 2nd post

16. Lingzie says:

thanks everyone for your lovely comments! looks like we’re seriously missing a good milky dessert shop in penang!! Leitaria I son ppl, if you’re reading this…any thoughts of having a branch here?? pwetty pwease? ๐Ÿ˜›

milk pudding and coconut ice cream in milk?!?!? oh I’m really drooling!!!

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Dim Sum Galore

18. cherrybaby65 says:

Hi …I’ve just came back from Macau and I’ve too visited that shop every single day during my visit there. totally love the food there ..

19. thamchiak says:

this is my favorite too…. I miss it so much ….
    if I got budget I want to go for a one day trip….hehehhehehe….just to “chiak” ….haha

thamchiak´s last blog post..Stay Tuned !!!!

20. kate says:

hi, do they have an english menu? thank you

• Lingzie says:

Hi kate! i’m afraid they don’t have an english menu, so i was rather lost. Fortunately my 2 other friends could read mandarin and translated for me. if you’re going for the very first time, do try the ‘double skin steamed milk pudding’ (their best seller). It’s pretty easy to spot in the glass display refrigerator (it’s the one with an extra layer of ‘skin’ on top) or you could try asking them for milk pudding and hope that the ladies there can speak english! ๐Ÿ™‚